Sunday, October 10, 2010

Running. Um...part two.

Well, I finally did it. I went running. I know this sounds a bit contradictory to my previous post, but hear me out. I did this for a couple reasons.

One: It's in the air. I'm not kidding with this one. I hear about running everywhere, and everything I hear about it sounds good. Everyone loves it. Great benefits. You feel good. It makes you smart. It makes you healthy. And on and on. How could I resist?

Two: I'm doing this for The S.O.* He likes to run, ok? And if we're ever in the same town again (when will this happen, O commanders of the cosmos?), I think it would be great if we could go for a nice jog together. Doesn't that sound lovely? ...it doesn't? What's that you say? Running will still suck no matter who you do it for? Well, please, allow me to direct you to point number

Three: I really need to lose weight. This fact has been apparent to me for quite some time now. I figure one day of running might turn into two (eventually) and then perhaps three or five or at some point, miraculously, it might become a regular thing. And then I'll lose several dozen pounds and become a supermodel.

But let's not get too hasty. We can start with the first day.

I ran a total of 0.7 miles this afternoon, and by "ran" I mean that I walked/jogged a little over half of that and speed walked (sped walked? sped walk?)/cooled down for the rest of it. I didn't die. I didn't pass out. I only became slightly dehydrated. I acquired no headache from the exertion. I believe this partially has to do with the fact that I didn't push myself too much. I pushed myself just past the point where I wanted to stop, but not to the point where I couldn't breathe or wanted to curl up into a ball in the middle of the street and let cars run over me.

This was an effective strategy! I have to thank The S.O. for this one, because he's the one who told me that I need to take it slow. I mean, he has a point. I haven't legitimately exercised since I took kick-boxing at the beginning of last year, and before that it was probably upwards of two years since I had done any physical exertion. So it doesn't make a ton of sense to try and run 12 miles the first day out. The other thing that The S.O. knows about me that no one else does (not even me all the time) is that I try to go all out on something and then when it doesn't work I get fed up and quit. So it was really very smart of him to suggest that I take it slow the first day.

And take it slow I did! And die I did not! So...successful day one. Updates to follow as more running occurs.


*Significant Other

No comments: