Sunday, June 5, 2011

I Want a Puppy

The other day while I was at work, I heard a woman outside in the mall hallway talking on the phone with who I'm assuming was her husband. This woman wasn't that young, and she had a small child with her who appeared to be her son. Her conversation with the hubby went along these lines:

*dials phone*
"I want a puppy."
"Pleeeeease?"
"No, it's so cute, it's a Pomeranian-Something mix."
"I'm in love with a dog! Can we please get it? I'll take care of it!"
"No, it only costs $400, and I have over a thousand in my account right now!"
"Have I told you how much I love you today?"
"Well, I just think that Alex [son?] needs a playmate. He can help take care of it."
"It's so adorable! It's a Pomeranian mix!"
"I'm going over to Wal-Mart right now to get a bed and toys and stuff."
"I love you so much."
"Ok, ok, I'm going to go now. I love you! It's so cute!"

At this point, her son was sitting on the other end of bench with his chin sitting on a fisted hand. When the lady hung up, she didn't even look at him. I expected at least a celebratory high-five or something, but she just said "come on" without even glancing his way and took off towards the pet store.

No comments: